My Yorkie loves chocolate.
At least he thinks he does.
He has never had any, but he always begs for some whenever I have some.
Naturally, I have to disappoint him every time.
I know what could happen if my Yorkie ate chocolate. I think most people probably know that chocolate is bad for dogs.
But what does it do exactly? And what should you do if your pup gets ahold of chocolate from somewhere and ingests some of it?
Keep reading to learn exactly what to do if your Yorkshire terrier eats some chocolate. This information could save your dog’s life.
Can Yorkies Eat Chocolate?
No, Yorkies can not eat chocolate. It is a well-known toxin for dogs. And given the small stature of the Yorkshire terrier, a little bit of chocolate can have a great effect.
If your Yorkie eats chocolate, monitor it closely. If it exhibits any symptoms, you should take it to see a vet as soon as possible.
Let’s take a closer look at why chocolate is toxic to dogs, before going into the symptoms you Yorkie may suffer if it ingests chocolate. The we will cover what you should do if it happens.
What Happens If A Yorkie Eats Chocolate?
Chocolate is so toxic to dogs because it contains a compound called theobromine. Unlike humans, dogs cannot metabolise theobromine, which is why it is so toxic for them.
Because the Yorkie is so small, they are more likely to consume a large amount of theobromine compared to their body mass. As a result, Yorkies can become much sicker much faster than larger breeds of dogs.
And chocolate is not the only food that contains theobromine. Tea and guarana berries also contain this compound. This means you should also keep your pup away from both of these.
Symptoms Of Chocolate Toxicity
If your Yorkie has eaten some chocolate, you need to make sure you monitor your dog closely. There are certain symptoms you should look out for that indicate your dog has been poisoned by chocolate. If your Yorkie shows any of these symptoms, take it to a vet straight away.
Your Yorkie may start vomiting, have diarrhea, become very thirsty, drool, pant, become hyper or agitated, or it may even lose control of its bladder.
If your Yorkie had a large amount of chocolate, more serious symptoms could include shaking, seizures, heart failure, respiratory failure, a coma or potentially even death.
Symptoms may start fairly quickly, possibly within an hour of any chocolate being consumed. It depends on how long it takes for the theobromine to enter your Yorkie’s system.
You should be able to see the full effects of the chocolate after two hours. If no symptoms have set in by then, your pup is likely going to be fine. But you should continue to monitor it for another two hours or so.
What To Do If Your Yorkie Eats Chocolate
It may be very worrying if your Yorkie has eaten some chocolate, but the most important thing you can do is not panic. It’s difficult, if not impossible, to react quickly and correctly if you’re panicking.
The first thing you should after realizing your Yorkie has eaten chocolate is try to determine how much chocolate your Yorkie has actually eaten.
If it is a tiny amount, like a small bite or a couple of chocolate chips, then you probably have nothing to worry about. Just keep an eye on your pup for the next four hours to make sure it is not suffering any adverse effects.
However, if your dog ate a larger amount, like an entire chocolate bar, then you may need to act quickly. When it comes to chocolate, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. If your Yorkie has eaten a large amount of chocolate, or even if you are not sure how much chocolate it has eaten, you are best off taking it to see a vet as soon as possible.
Once you arrive at the veterinary clinic, they will be able to assess the situation and come up with the best course of action for treatment.
The vet may induce vomiting to get all of the toxic chocolate out of your dog’s system. They usually do this with a dose of hydrogen peroxide which they administer to your dog using a syringe.
If you know your dog only consumed a small amount of chocolate, you probably do not need to take it to the vet, although you certainly can, if you want to be extra safe.
As mentioned, it is important to monitor your Yorkshire terrier continuously for the first four hours after the incident. If symptoms do not appear after this period of time, chances are your Yorkie will be okay.
If you notice symptoms during the four hours, take your dog to the vet. It is also normal for your dog to suffer from diarrhea the following day. It may not, but don’t be surprised if you do. It is normal for dogs to have diarrhea after consuming something that is not part of their normal diet.
My Yorkie Ate Chocolate: Final Thoughts
Chocolate is near the top of the list of foods not to feed Yorkies. Never feed any chocolate to your pup, no matter how much it begs for some. If you are looking for a good treat, try any of the excellent Yorkie treats on this list.
If your Yorkie ate some chocolate, do not panic. Stay calm and try to determine how much chocolate it ate. If it was just a small amount, your pup will probably be fine. You can call your vet to be safe, but you don’t need to. Just keep an eye out for symptoms over the next four hours.
However, if you dog ate a larger amount of chocolate, or if you can not determine how much it ate, we strongly recommend contacting a vet as soon as possible. Do not wait for symptoms, because they can come on rapidly and turn serious very quickly with a large amount of chocolate.